Thursday, September 2, 2021

Spain Day 1 - SFO to ZRH to BCN


Well I actually forgot about this blog for like 6 years. It took some digging, but I finally found it and figured out my login! Let me catch you up real quick:

In 2016 I got a big girl job that basically just sucks the life out of me! Just kidding (kind of). But it is demanding and also does require me to limit how much of my real life I make available online.


I thought I’d resurrect this blog this week because it actually is cool to look back and see some of the adventures I’ve been on. I wrote about the first time I traveled to Europe solo on this blog and rereading it last night reminded me that I was so scared that trip that I actually cried at the airport ðŸ˜‚. That was like 10 years ago. 


I’ve had lots of adventures since my last post. Mostly domestic (probably like 10+ new states in the past few years) and one trip to Italy in 2018. 


So there you go, you’re basically caught up. 



I’ve had anxiety about this trip over the past couple of days. It’s still a little scary traveling to another county alone. My Spanish sucks so I’m out of my comfort zone.  I also know I’m risking a lot traveling during COVID (I thought COVID was going to be over by now when I rebooked this trip). I also feel anxious about being abroad and traveling so close to 9/11. Like, I purposely chose to fly back on 9/12 just in case! 


My trip to Spain was booked pre-COVID and kept getting postponed. Luckily I think I’m in a window where the EU is still accepting American tourist so I was able to make it in to the country but things can change quickly so I’m ready for anything. I’ll keep an eye on the regulations over the next week and a half but so far I’ve had great luck. 


Since I wasn’t sure this trip was actually going to happen, I didn’t really plan much. I have my hotels booked for the first 5 nights and then after that I’m just winging it. I have a couple of friends in different places Europe and I’d love to meet up with each of them but again it all depends on COVID safety so I try not to get my heart set on anything. 


I flew out of SFO for the first time. I have to admit the few trips I have taken this year have actually been sort of pleasant because of social distancing. I’m one of those people that hopes social distancing will stick around forever. I love not having people breathe down my neck while standing in line!


I made it to SF with just enough time to park, shuttle to the international terminal, present my documents, and then board the plane.


The first flight was 11 hours but the most amazing thing happened on this flight… the middle seat was empty! It was such a comfortable flight. I took a melatonin and drank a glass of wine but couldn’t really sleep. 


Overall it was an easy arrival. I hope this is how the rest of my trip goes! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...