Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Spain - Day 10

I woke up early to take the metro to a clinic for my COVID test. I had an appointment at 9:00 am. The nurse that did my test was from Barcelona and her husband was from San Diego. I asked how they met and she explained they were both studying in Ireland and met in school!

After my test, I walked around a bit and grabbed a coffee and croissant at a nearby cafe. 

Then I rode the metro back to my hotel room to shower and get ready for my day. The only thing on my schedule was a wine tasting at 5:00. 

I went down a couple hours early for the wine tasting so I could grab a bite to eat and walk around more. As I was walking I noticed a horchataria (orxataria) that I had pinned on Instagram weeks ago and forgot about. I stopped by and got a cup and it was soooooo good! They also sell horchata ice cream, but I will have to go back and try it another time. 

The wine tasting was awesome. Spain produces 25% of the worlds organic wines according to the wien guide. 

It was a small class with two other couples (one couple from New York City another couple from Italy) and one other solo traveler marine vet who was currently on a world tour after finishing a job in Afghanistan. The dynamic was perfect and by the end of the tasting we all exchanged contact info and I had invited everyone to come visit me in California. The day was 9/11 so I felt like it was significant that I spent my evening with a veteran and New Yorkers.

9/11 is a significant day in Barcelona as well.  It is called National Day of Catalonia. During the day its a celebration but our guide explained that at night it becomes a political demonstration and can be a bit dangerous with rioters. 

Wine is definitely something that brings people together! After the wine tasting, I could tell everyone wanted to continue the party but this was my last night and I had a long day of travel ahead of me so I separated from the group and went back to my hotel room and started packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...