Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 5

I started off the day with a quick breakfast at the hotel. Then we loaded our bags onto the bus.



Then we were on our way to Dresden, a town about 2 hours from Berlin, near the boarder between Germany and Czech. One interesting thing about this town is that it was bombed during the last few days of WW2.

We had 2.5 hours to explore Dresden and eat lunch. One of the girls I met on the tour and I went in search for lunch. We ended up not eating at a restaurant. I got two pretzels and she got bratwurst.

This girl is interesting. She's hard for me to hang out with because she's really... "frugal" (same girl that didn't want to leave the club until we had 4 people to split the taxi cost). She goes from place to place searching for a bathroom that only cost 30c euro to use. Also, she walked to three different bratwurst stands to see if any one was cheaper. I can understand wanting to be frugal, especially because she's still a student, but why worry about one or two dollars if you already spent thousands on a trip to Europe?

So what ended up really making me mad was this. The reason why we grabbed a quick and easy lunch was because we both really wanted to see a museum called Zwinger. It was actually HER suggestion, but I really wanted to see Raphael's Sistine Madonna so I was excited too. Then, when we got inside, she saw that it cost money to enter (duh!) and was like, "I don't know if we should go in because we won't have enough time to see everything. Should we do something else?" So I was like, "We have an hour and a half, what do you want to do?" and she just kept walking around leading me around the whole damn city. It was too cold to be wandering around like that. I would have gladly paid just to be able to stand inside a building. So I've been avoiding her ever since. Hhaah.

Here's an old picture of me and JR with that famous image taken from the bottom of Raphael's Sistine Madonna. Looking at this copy hanging on the wall of Santa Maria's Straw Hat Pizza is not as cool as looking at the real deal in Europe, but oh well.



Here are some pics from Dresden.





We walked into a Mc Donalds because that girl wanted to find a cheap bathroom. But I thought this was cool... at most of the Mc Donalds I've seen here in Europe, they have a separate section for Mc Cafe which is like a little cafe with desserts and coffee drinks.



Then we eagerly got on the bus (it was super cold outside!) and were on our way to Prague! To pass the time, we did introductions. We had to stand up in front of the bus and tell everyone your name, where you're from, who you're traveling with, when you're leaving the tour, and one celebrity you love and one you hate.

Then, 2.5 hours later, we arrived in Prague. I instantly fell in love with this city. It happened as soon as I got off the bus. I just love everything about Prague.

It amazes me that a driving 5 hours away from Berlin will land you in a city completely different! It's a different country, different language, and different currency! It's amazing to me because if I drive 5 hours from my house, I could be in San Francisco. Yeah, SF has its own culture, but we still speak the same language, use the same money, and have the same governor etc.





After we checked into our hotel, we went out to dinner as a group. I was totally worried about Czech food, because German food didn't appeal to me at all. My tour manager kept saying, "Czech food is wacky!" Luckily, the dinner we were served was AMAZING! It was the most I had eaten all week. It doesn't seem wacky at all. It was salty and delicious!





After dinner, we went on a quick walking tour of the city, just so we could orient ourselves. The streets are narrow, crowded, and windey so it's easy to get lost!

Our tour manager suggested that we see a blacklight show. She warned us that it was weird "like an acid trip" but said it's "totally prague" so of course I wanted to watch the show!



It was... interesting. Weird. It didn't make sense to me, although I heard later that it was supposed to be about Alice (from Alice in Wonderland) growing up. Uhh.... okay. But I'm glad I went. I would totally go back tonight if it wasn't 25 euro. I think it was a bit overpriced.

I came back to my hotel after the show. It was sooo cold outside! I'm not used to this kind of weather. Anything under 55 degrees is "freezing" to me! My roomie was ready to go to bed, so I sat outside my room and skyped with JR/updated my blog. While I was sitting outside of my room, an old lady asked me if I needed help :) and some creepy old man asked me to come in to his room. Hahah. So I decided to go back inside my room and get some sleep.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...